What is branding?
Branding is the creative, strategic process of telling potential customers what your company is all about: who you are, what you care about, why they should work with you and what they can expect from you. After you’ve started a business or created your first product, building a brand identity should be your number one priority.
Branding distills everything about what you do and how you do it into a singular, memorable essence that people will remember and continuously associate with your company. Think of the McDonald’s golden arches or the multicolor rings on the Olympics insignia. Even a simple symbol or image can convey meaningful associations that resonate the world over
We’ve just tossed three B’s in your direction: brand, branding and brand identity. They’re all related but not quite the same.
- Your brand is the way the outside world perceives your company.
- Your branding is the process of designing and building a unique, memorable brand.
- Your brand identity is the set of creative elements that feed into the branding process—like your website, social media and logo—that broadcast your message, values and purpose.
- These three B’s all have to work together. You don’t have a real brand without a brand identity, and you’ll never have a brand until you start branding.
- Start defining your brand by asking yourself these questions:
- Who are you as a company?
- What makes you unique from other brands?
- What is your brand’s mission statement? What gives it purpose?
- What are your values?
- Who is your ideal customer?
Knowing and defining exactly who you are is the first step in creating a meaningful brand
What is digital branding?
Digital branding is how you design and build your brand online through websites, apps, social media, video and more. Digital branding consists of a combination of digital marketing and internet branding to develop a brand online.
Why does a digital brand presence matter? Well, look up from that phone you’re probably on… We’re all using our devices constantly. Most of us engage with the larger world through the lens of the internet, which makes it essential for brands to reach target customers and convert one-time users into long-term loyalists.